Monday, May 5, 2008

Happy Cinco De Mayo!

Saturday afternoon we had a Cinco de Mayo party with a few other couples in our ward. Our house was very full and crazy which made it a lot of fun! This was all despite my injury and the fact that I was on a lot of drugs and immobile most of the time (more to come about that later). Luckily for me Gabe was a lot of help and I was starting to feel slightly better by then.
In case anyone is wondering why we celebrated Cinco de Mayo, let alone the fact that we celebrated it on the Third of May rather than the Fifth, there are many reasons.
First of all we decided to have the party on Saturday just because that's usually a better day to have a party than Monday evening, plus we didn't want to get in the way of FHE.
We thought about having party in the first place because when Gabe and I were in Arizona last week (I'll post more about that later too) I saw many billboards reminding everyone to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. This is a holiday I don't think about much and have only ever celebrated in my high school spanish class. So I decided to look up Cinco de Mayo on Wikepedia, the source of all my knowledge, well not maybe all of it, but most of it.

What I got from what I read was mostly that Cinco de Mayo is not a real holiday. It isn't celebrated by most of Mexico and only celebrated by parts of the United States such as Arizona and Texas. Cinco de Mayo is just a good excuse for people do get drunk and stores to make a profit. So we decided to take advantage because we thought it was a good excuse for a party, and I'm glad we did! We were able to get to know some people in our ward better while eating a lot of good food and doing things like:
making homemade sombreros
and breaking open a pinata!
The kids attacked that thing after it fell down. Now that's a whole lot of candy! They ate a lot of it too.
Of course the kids were able to entertain themselves as well. Apparantly our new toy box seconds as a boat. Before the breaking of the pinata the little boys took over the bat. Preston just wanted to eat it. But Sawyer was ready to play ball with the balloon.I'm glad everyone could come, and hope they had as much fun as we did!

5 comments:

  1. It WAS fun!! Thanks for having us! Its always good to celebrate a "drunk holiday" with a bunch of saints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elora got to break a pinata with some neighbor kids too, but it was on the sixth. I'd be scared to be swinging a bad around in the house even if its plastic!
    Nice toybox too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, i wish that my cinco de mayo was as fun as this! but, alas, it was not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Holly, I never though of it that way. Tearese, that's neat that Elora got to break open a pinata too, it's so fun! The bat really isn't a very hard plastic so it was okay to swing in the house, but we made sure to keep the kids away. Royce, I'm sorry you did not have a fun Cinco de Mayo, did you have to work the whole time or something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. no, no. i was just bored. that-and i forgot that it was cinco de mayo. so...yeah....that's probably why my cinco de mayo was not as fun as yours!

    ReplyDelete