Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Thought I Was Going To Die Yesterday

I was minding my own business trying to broil my cinnamon toast on homemade bread I had made the night before (oh so yummy) and that's when it happened. I saw a flash of light as soon as I turned to oven on. I thought the oven light had finally decided to start working after months but then realized that instead there were sparks lighting it up. I immediatly turned the oven off but they still kept getting brighter and brighter. I hurried and put Preston in his booster seat far away with a piece of bread to occupy him while I freaked out.

I tried to call Gabe but of course he didn't answer his phone. So I tried to call my mom but her break from work had just ended. Is this something you could call 911 for? I didn't know so I ran and got my fire extinguisher from the laundry room upstairs because I forgot we had kept one in the kitchen for times such as these. Of course I thought the oven was going to blow and didn't have the guts to get anywhere near it, let alone open it with all that sparking going on.

Luckily after the sixth try Gabe decided to answer his phone and told me to turn the breaker off (he had asked his coworkers what to do). That did the trick. Eventually I turned the breakers back on and nothing happened. Our stovetop works just fine but we think we need a new element for the top, hopefully an easy fix.

I'm just grateful that

1. nothing blew up

2. I didn't have to use the fire extinguisher

3. Last but not least, I didn't have to call the dreaded 911 number...

oh, and I guess I'm also grateful that we can still cook most foods and probably don't have to buy a whole new appliance. :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh no! That WOULD be scary! I'm glad it turned out okay and I will definitely remember that breaker trick (I was mentally locating my fire extinguishers in my head while I was reading!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That honestly happened to me once. It was like watching a fireworks show inside my oven. I closed the door, sat down with Wesley (he was about 2), got a good distance away and said, "look how cool!" as we watched the entire coil on the bottom of the oven eventually burn away. I was very happy to see my oven go up in flames as it was soooo bad anyway. We bought a great new one with a flattop and I have always been happy for the day the oven exploded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't know it was that scary. i'm glad that you and preston are alright and that nothing blew up too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I'm glad that worked out! I would have freaked out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How scary! Glad you are both ok and that everything is fine. If you ever need or want to borrow an oven until yours is fixed mine is available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! I feel kind of silly now, but I've never seen anything like it. Maybe today I'll actually call the company to see what we need to do to get it fixed. Oh, and thanks Momma J for offering the use of your oven, we might have to take you up on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! The same exact thing happened to us in our first apartment soon after we were married, but the element inside our oven really did blow! I know how you feel though... I was seconds from calling the fire department. We ended up having to replace the oven (our landlord did at least). We were happy for that at least :)

    ReplyDelete